Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Final Round-Up

I’m writing this post sitting on my bed in America, a full week and then some after leaving Bosnia and Herzegovina. I’m sorry for the delay, but it took a while for me to fully realize that my time in my lovely adoptive country was over and that I was set to return to my old life in the States. So here I am, let me give you the highlights reel.

Monday June 16, 2014: The Airports:

This was not a fun day. I woke up and looked over at my empty room and my packed up bags and sat on my bed thinking “How did I end up here? I felt like it was August yesterday.” I walked downstairs to say a final goodbye to my host father who wouldn’t be able to make it to the airport due to work and my host brother. My host mother told me that she’d have to meet me at the airport because she too had a work emergency.  I spent the rest of the morning walking around the house and dreading the moment when the shuttle bus rattled down my street.

Checking in was a breeze thankfully. I somehow managed to fit my Bosnian life into two checked bags under the weight limit and a backpack so I had plenty of time before going through security to hang out with my host mother. We both just blubbered like idiots, and took a bunch of photos in which we’re both red and blotchy, but I’m happy to have them.




After the hard part was over. The YES Abroad had a full day of travelling ahead of us, but it was relatively painless and we got to Washington D.C. all in one piece and ready for bed.




Tuesday June 17, 2014: Final Goodbyes and First Hellos
State Department day! The YES Abroaders dressed up and met with some of the American Councils D.C. Staff before heading over to give a presentation to the Department of Citizen Exchanges at the State Department. Our presentation was about our experiences in Bosnia and Herzegovina and what we learned from them. It went pretty well if I do say so myself.


It was then that a grand reunion occurred. No, not the reunion between me and my beloved family that I hadn’t seen in 10 months, no, no, no, no, not that. I’m talking about the reunion between me, and the Mexican grill restaurant chain, Chipotle. And what a glorious reunion it was.


After Chipotle came another airport, except this time we weren’t saying goodbye to our host families we were saying goodbye to some of the best friends we’ve encountered. I had a flight in a totally separate terminal from the other YES Abroaders so I didn’t really have much time to say any goodbyes, which actually ended up being nice because I don’t think I had any more brutal goodbyes left in me.

Then came the fun part! I took a 40 minute flight back to NYC and during the descent the plane flew low over Manhattan so that I could see all of my favorite attractions before saying a big hello to my family. At the La Guardia baggage claim I frantically searched for my family and 30 minutes after I landed and a payphone call later we reunited! My younger brother and sister made me signs to welcome me home.

Wednesday June 18, 2014: Graduation
You know you’ve had a busy week when graduating high school doesn’t even come close to being the most exciting thing you’ve done since Monday. My last day of school was fun, I mostly walked around and said hello to old teachers and friends. Graduation was fun too, but to be honest I was still in a haze as to what language I should be speaking and what country I was in so the whole ceremony was a bit of a blur.


Well, I guess this is where we leave each other; yet another big goodbye. Thanks for virtually joining me on all of my adventures and reading all of my nonsensical rambling. Hvala puno.

Signing off,
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment