Wednesday, February 5, 2014

That Time I Was In a Bosnian TV Commercial...

So this weekend fellow YES Abroader, Sarah Edgar, and I found ourselves in a Bosnian TV commercial for our gym. Yes, I realize how crazy that sounds.

Ok let me start at the beginning, this whole thing started after our workout on Friday, when the receptionist at our gym invited us to come to the gym at noon that Sunday for a free workout. "A FREE WORKOUT?!? THAT SOUNDS GREAT!" we thought. "But what's the catch?" She assured us that it was only so the gym could film a little promotional web video with a few of its members. It sounded simple enough and I'm a sucker for free stuff so Sarah and I happily obliged.

Cut to Sunday. Sarah and I arrive expecting to see the workout room teeming with fellow, average-fitness level members of our gym, but much to our chagrin it was just the two of us and all of the beautiful, Olympian-esque, trainers that were required to be there. We thought that maybe we had just arrived early or something but then a man with a very intimidating looking camera motioned for us to start. Sarah and I nervously got out yoga mats as the cameraman explained that we would do little segments of each class offered at the gym and then we would repeat those segments four times so he could get a variety of shots. We didn't even have to say anything! All of that didn't sound too bad until we had completed the first segment of the first class and were totally  exhausted, sweaty, and out of breath.

6 classes, 23 takes, and 2 hours later I was on the verge of tears and even the most ripped trainers looked like maybe they'd had enough. "Oh good, we're done." I thought, but then the cameraman announced that now he would film us on the machines. I dragged myself to the treadmill and mustered up one last haphazard smile for the camera and then retreated to the changing room. After getting dresses Sarah and I were asked to be in one more non-workout related intro scene and we obliged. As we were leaving our friend the receptionist called "Ok, look for this on Saturday morning television! Sometime around 10!"

HOLD UP! I THOUGHT THIS WAS A WEB VIDEO! But alas something must have gotten lost in translation and now you can see watch me dissolve into a puddle of exhaustion over your Saturday morning coffee. Your welcome Sarajevo, your welcome.


Don't get me wrong though, the whole experience was super fun and made for a great story when I got to school on Monday, I wouldn't take back that grueling, slightly embarrassing work out for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment